Nothing is more disturbing to a parent than childhood fevers . A child can spike a high fever, over 102 degrees, with seemingly little provocation. Most of the time, a fever is a sign that a healthy immune system is doing its job- raising the body temperature to kill virus and bacteria. Most fevers don’t indicate a serious condition, but a medical professional should be consulted. To treat the normal fevered reaction of the immune system, natural remedies can relieve symptoms and provide relief.
Samuel Hahnemann, the founder of homeopathy was driven to despair when his children were sick. “ ‘When then was certain help to be obtained?’ was the yearning cry of the comfortless father in the midst of the groaning of his children, dear to him above all else. Night and desolation around me– no sight of enlightenment for my troubled paternal heart.” The yearning cry of his fevered children led him to discover laws of homeopathic cure: like cures like. Homeopathy has numerous remedies to treat a variety of fever symptoms.
Ten Homeopathic Remedies for Childhood Fevers
- Dulcamara is a remedy for the sudden onset of high fever and when a cough hurts because of the muscular soreness. This condition can be brought on by damp, cold changes in the weather.
- Arsenicum treats a burning fever with chills and restlessness. The child is thirsty, restless, and often nervous.
- Belladonna treats a fever that comes on rapidly with lots of heat, inflammation, and redness. The child may also experience burning pains and be thirsty for drinks in small sips.
- Aconite is a good homeopathic remedy for the early stages of an illness, with sudden onset of intense symptoms. This condition is especially triggered by exposure to cold winds or a sudden chill.
- Ferrum phos is a good remedy for a low-grade fever. It is also useful in the early stages, or at onset, of a cold or flu– within first 24 hours.
- Eupatorium is a useful remedy for fevers caused by influenza. The high fevered condition causes chills and a thirst for cold drinks. Eupatorium fevers can produce a sensation of bone pain as well.
- Nux vomica treats a high fever with chills. The child is worse from movement and worse from air under the covers.
- Pulsatilla’s fever has no thirst. This is a common remedy for childhood fevers, especially when the child is feverish but the body temperature is normal.
- Pyrogenium treats a high fever with aching and restlessness and a sore feeling that the bed is too hard.
- Rhus tox treats a fever that comes on rapidly, especially at 10 am, especially if it is aggraded by wet weather and worse from getting wet.
Wet Wool Socks
A quick way to lower a fever is by placing wet socks on a child’s feet, and covering the wet socks with dry wool socks. This brings blood to the feet and lowers the core temperature.
To treat childhood fevers, maintain hydration, as children lose body fluids through perspiration and dehydration can occur. Also, the child can get the nutrients needed to heal by drinking liquids, soups or juices that contain electrolytes. Chicken soup has been shown to be effective in treating colds and flu. Juices of both fruits and vegetables provide easily absorbed vitamins. If you drink soda allow it to go flat before drinking or it may make the child more nauseated.
Peppermint and Elderflower Tea for Fever
This tea helps lower fevers, and children love the minty taste. At the onset of a fever, mix equal parts of elderflower and peppermint. Make a tea with three tablespoons of herbs. Encourage the child to drink at least one cup a day. This tea helps the child break a sweat.
Let the fever run its course and your child will be up and around in no time. Plenty of rest, liquids along with helpful herbs and homeopathy will speed your little one back to health naturally.